While this year is certainly different than last year in that we can do more things outdoors, we are still in the midst of what feels like a never ending pandemic. All of the following are subject to change and mask requirements are up to the event so please check their website before attending.
- Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow– Sept 4 starting at 10 a.m. – Sept 6 ending at 6 p.m.- Sleepy Hollow is continuing their yearly Renaissance Faire this Labor Day by having a Celtic Ceilidah- a Celtic celebration with dance and Highland games. Tickets are $19 for an adult at the gate or you can save some money by buying them online for $14 for an adult. Parking is $5 if you don’t buy online and is free if you do buy online so there’s an incentive to purchase those tickets in advance.
- Poolooza at Adventureland featuring Shaggy-September 6- This is for 21+ so don’t plan on taking your kids- though they probably are too young to have even heard of Shaggy so they may not be too upset on not being able to go. You can purchase just the concert ticket for $45 or you can make it a day at Adventureland and purchase both the concert ticket and a day pass to the park as well.
- 2021 DMSD Turbine Weekend-September 3-September 6- If you were wanting to try skydiving, the Des Moines Sky Diver group is offering your opportunity do so this Labor Day weekend. They have 13k and 20K jumps available at the Winterset Municpal airport starting at 11a.m. and ending at 7p.m.
- Labor Day Madrid Parade-September 6 AT 10a.m.- Come see the Madrid residents show off their city pride. If you’ve missed parades during the pandemic, make the trek out to Madrid and watch this to bring those memories of the good old days- like 2 years ago when we could go to parades without it being a health risk. Afterwards, check out the High Tressle Trail bridge and take a long walk/bike ride to enjoy it’s beauty.
- Labor Day Racing at Prairie Meadows– If you happen to be in Altoona on Labor Day weekend and Adventureland isn’t appealing, you can spend the day at Prairie Meadows instead. They’ll be offering plenty of family friendly activities and if you don’t have little ones to worry about keeping occupied, you can spend 4p.m -7p.m. on Labor Day in the nice air conditioning gambling or just people watching.
- Sci Makers Faire Recycled Bike Gear Wind Chime– The Science Center of Iowa is offering a Mini Makers workshop on Labor Day from 9a.m. to 4p.m with the theme of Steam Punk this year. Make a wind chime from bike gear while learning more about science and engineering at the same time. You’ll at least get a nice souvenir out of it.