All photos courtesy of the Iowa State Fair
- Peanut Butter and Fluff cookie dough-$6-Dipped in Chocolate stand- Anyone who loves cookie dough, marshmallow fluff and cocoa krispies in one creation will love this new addition. You can get it covered in chocolate or leave it plain depending on how much of a chocolate fan you are.
- Island Noodles with Teriyaki chicken-$12-Island Noodles stand- Soba noodles are served with 21 fresh vegetables and a secret sauce. This is a nice introduction that is outside of the normal Iowa State fair choices especially considering the sheer number of vegetables that are in it.
- Duke’s Quebec poutine-$7-Duke’s Poutine stand- You don’t have to cross the Canadian border to get this favorite Canadian dish. Poutine is fresh french fries covered with white chedder cheese curds and turkey gravy- the style varies on where you are in Canada so they’re going for the Quebec style with this new addition.
- Peanut Butter Squealer-$7-Waffle Chix stand- A new take on the corn dog made with breakfast sausage and bacon wrapped in a waffle drizzled with peanut butter and maple syrup. This is a great choice if you’re at the fair early and want a easy to eat breakfast food and also want to get your first corn-dog-esque food in for the day.
- Bacon Mac Dog-$6- Stockman’s Inn-100% angus beef hot dog with mac & cheese on top sprinkled with bacon- this looks incredibly messy so maybe don’t try and eat and walk at the same time with it unless you want to go home with mac and cheese stains on your clothes.
- Cinnamon or salted pretzel bits-$5-Georgie’s Old Fashioned Root beer- If you’ve ever wanted your giant pretzel to come in bite size portion then this is a good choice- you can go the sweet or traditional route with cinnamon or salt as the topping choices. They also have a coffee icing to add on to wake you up or at least give them a layered flavor.
- Chicken and Egg salad with Indian Fry bread chips-$8-Cluck’n Coop stand- A cool combination of cold egg salad on freshly fried Indian Fry bread will make a nice lunch or dinner that will leave you feeling less weighed down with the protein in the eggs- though the fry bread might offset that feeling. This will feel more like a meal than anything offered on a stick.
- Texas Twinkies-3 for $10-Chicken City by Susan Knapp amphitheater- Another potentially messy food- smoked chicken, pepper jack cheese and cream cheese are stuffed into a jalapeno pepper and wrapped in bacon and then fried.
- Granny D’s Apple Pie-$6–Applishus stand- If you get a craving for this all American dessert but don’t want to share an entire pie, have your own mini pie with a crumb topping, caramel and a dab of whipped cream on top.
- Atomic Strawberry Shortcake-$9.95–Iowa Fruit & Vegetable Growers stand- Get a single serving of your favorite- or maybe second favorite after apple pie- summer dessert with this single serving of strawberry shortcake with a fresh biscuit layered between vanilla ice cream and strawberries and whipped cream.
For the troubles the people on the East side of Des Moines go through every time the fair comes into town, click here.