Memorial Day doesn’t have to be spent cooped up in your house or backyard. The following are the best events in Iowa- since this is a long weekend I have tried to include some spots outside of Des Moines for those who want to get out of town- that will help you celebrate this national day of remembrance.
- Decoration Day-May 29- Held at Living History Farms from 9am-4pm this event starts with a procession to their cemetery. Once the procession is complete, a Victorian speech will be given to honor the Union’s fallen heroes. Stay for the Bluestockings 1870’s rules based baseball game that starts at 1:30pm.
- Iowa Barnstormers vs. Bismark Bucks– May 29- Starting at 7:05pm, this is a good way to start your holiday weekend by forgetting the outside world and watching some indoor football. This is a great way to get your entire family together to do something outside of the house and should appeal to most people in your group.
- Indianola Parade-May 31- If you’ve been missing parades while being stuck inside for the last year, you can head out to Indianola by 10am and see a good old fashioned small town parade. Be sure to head to Outside Scoop before you head back home.
- Bicycle Brew BBQ-May 29- This will be the 5th year Bondurant has hosted the Bicycle Brew BBQ being held this year from 10a.m. to 8p.m. with two bike route options for those who want to choose how much of a workout they get in before the dig into some tasty bar-b-que. Live music and plenty of food will make whichever route you choose be worth it in the end.
- Iowa Cubs vs St. Paul Saints– May 29- The game starts at 7:08pm and if you’re wanting to catch a baseball game this weekend, this will be the only game before the Cubs head out of town to play in Omaha. Watching a baseball is about as American as you can get so buy plenty of hot dogs and cracker jacks and make sure you stick around after the game to catch their impressive fireworks show.
- Memorial Day Bull Dog races–May 31- 3:30pm- See who wins the thrilling race of bulldogs as they compete to be this year’s top dog in a 20 yard dash to victory. There’s 4 races before the 5th final at 5:53pm so if you don’t want to watch each one at least hit the big one at the end. Great family activity and who doesn’t want to watch bulldogs trying to race each other?
- TCT Summer Concert Series-May 31-Noon-4 p.m- Twisted Corn Tavern will be hosting a concert series this summer with Memorial Day being the kickoff. You will need to drive to Dallas Center but if you’re itching to get out of town and see live music, go and see Farenheit and if you enjoy your visit be sure to come back for the other concert dates.
For the best summer events in Des Moines, click here.