Coffee, the drink that helps many of us get through the daily grind of life. The following are the best spots in Des Moines to get your caffeine fix.
- Smokey Row Coffee Co.-located in multiple locations in Iowa, the Des Moines location offers an excellent location just off the interstate to make grabbing a cup of coffee on the go as easy as possible, especially with their drive thru window. Their flavored coffee comes in an assortment of delicious flavors like butter pecan and chocolate raspberry and they offer specialty drinks that put Starbucks to shame.
- Java Joes– located in the heart of downtown Des Moines plus a location at the Dart bus station and on Douglas, this is a cozy spot to go for business meetings or to bring out of towners. They have a full breakfast menu for those seeking something to eat with their caffeine including hearty smothered hash browns or a basic bagel and cream cheese. Perfect spot to while away the afternoon with board games they provide and the cozy chairs to relax in.
- Zanzibar’s Coffee Adventure– located on Ingersoll Avenue, they pride themselves on using finest Arabica beans from around the world. They take great measures to make sure that each and every cup of coffee has the best taste. You can really taste the difference in how fresh the coffee beans taste versus coffee made from beans that have been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long. Their seasonal drinks are worth making the trip, especially the Merry Mint Mocha in the winter.
- Ritual Café-located in the western Gateway downtown, this is a locally owned shop that not only serves some of the best tasting coffee in town, but is one of the few vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Des Moines. Their coffee is locally roasted and organic so you know that it’s fresh and free of pesticides. This is a great place to go to after visiting the sculpture garden.
- Mars Café– this is nestled in the Drake area, Mars café exclusively sells Kickapoo coffee, a fair trade artisan roaster based out of Wisconsin. They also offer Gung Fu tea for the tea drinkers out there. The barista’s really know their stuff and their talents show in everything they make. The parking is kind of tricky since they’re on a busy road but you’ll easily find spots if you go down a few blocks.
- Plain Talk Books and Coffee-located across the street from the State Historical Building, they have perfectly married a used book store and coffee house into a comfortable, homey setting. Be sure to catch open night mic to see local artists perform while you enjoy freshly made soup and made to order paninis.
- Grounds For Celebration– they have 3 locations based on the West side of Des Moines, Grounds has an extensive selection of drinks to choose from. They offer everything from espresso classics to yerbe mate drinks. This is a great place to bring someone to catch up on gossip and to treat yourself to one of their freshly baked decadent pastries.
- West End Salvage– right in the heart of downtown, West End offers the chance to do some antique shopping while you enjoy your coffee. This was the headquarters for the NBC team during the Caucus so they’ve had some recent fame nationally. Their coffee drinks taste straight out of Italy. This is the perfect spot to find an antique treasure and well crafted coffee.
- Twisted Bean– located in both Urbandale and the south side of Des Moines, this is a dual drive thru coffee house making it an awesome way to get the local coffee shop experience without having to leave your car or if you are at the Urbandale location, you can sit in their modern bakery/café. They believe in giving that extra touch in all of their products, even going so far as to give doggie treats to the 4 legged passengers riding along with you.
- Scenic Route Bakery– this café has grown in popularity in the short time it’s been open in the East Village, they have fresh brewed coffee along with probably the best quiche in town. The atmosphere is very inviting . If you’re ordering for your office, they offer an easy to use online ordering system to streamline the process.