Patios are the perfect spot to enjoy a cold beer on a hot summer night. The following are the best locally owned bars in Des Moines to meet up with friends or just enjoy the scenery.
- Wellman’s Pub and Rooftop-located on Ingersoll and in West Des Moines, both locations feature a large patio with plenty of seating. Their burgers are some of the best in town especially when paired with their homemade chips Their drink menu is just as good as the food with such creations as Raspberry Cake and the Ultimate Mojito.
- Exile Brewery– located on Walnut Street, they produce their own beer which no other bar on this list does so you know the beer you’re drinking is not only made in Iowa but made on premises. Their patio is well lit and has plenty of seating. This is a good spot to hold a reception or private party. Try their seasonal beers since they change every few months. Beatnik Sour is a personal favorite.
- Star Bar–located on Ingersoll, this is a cozy patio that would be great for taking a date/out of towner since it’s not too big and the crowd doesn’t get too rowdy. The chocolate strawberry martini is a personal favorite and they have a large wine selection. Their food is consistently excellent. The inside of the restaurant is just as welcoming and cozy so even if you get stuck inside, you’ll be happy to spend your night here.
- Eatery A-located on Ingersoll Avenue, I picked this as a top pizza place in Des Moines and you’ll definitely want to take that pizza out to their patio during their happy hour. Their parking is kind of tricky and they fill up fast especially on the patio so be sure to get their kind of early or at make reservations so you’re sure to get a spot.
- Mullets– located near Principal Park, I picked this as a breakfast spot but they’re more than just breakfast food with their two tiered patio that has an awesome view of downtown. They’re right next to a popular bike path so this is a great place to take a break from biking/running especially once the temps reach the triple digits.
- Pints Pub N’ Patio– located on Court Avenue, this is Des Moines’ original beer pong bar. They give you a free drink if you bring in a ticket stub to the Civic Center, Cubs game or an event at Hyvee Hall. This is a good place to indulge in beer pong if you’re either missing your college days or a current student since they have Pong tourneys most nights of the week.
- Royal Mile–located on 4th Street, this is a British themed bar that offers 21 beers on tap and 61 bottle varieties from all over the world. They’re kind of on the expensive side with drafts costing roughly $4.75 a beer but this is a fun atmosphere and a cheaper way to experience an English pub than traveling to London to do so.
- GoodSons– located in Beaverdale, Goodsons has a spacious patio and even gives chalk to doodle on their table tops. They have 10 beers on tap which isn’t a ton but they really pride themselves on serving Iowa made beers so it’s nice to see a local bar supporting other Iowa businesses. They’re famous for their paninis and happy hour runs from 11 to 6 every day.
- Mickey’s Irish Pub–located on Court Avenue, Mickey’s is more than just the spot to go on St. Patrick’s day. Their patio is open during the farmer’s market so you can people watch and enjoy an awesome Bloody Mary. Thursdays offer $3 Guinness pints. They have live music in the summer on Friday nights from 9:30pm to 12:30am for the night owls out there.
- El Bait Shop–located on SW 2nd Street, El Bait shop has probably the largest tap selection in town with 185 beers on tap. For those seeking bottled beer, they have 43 choices and 6 canned beer selections. Their food menu is eclectic to say the least with offerings like Velvet Elvis Dip and a peanut butter and bacon burger. Click here for more information.