Mother’s Day can be one of the busiest holidays at restaurants so the following should help take some of the guesswork of finding a special place for her. Be sure to try to get reservations if possible to guarantee you get in quickly.
- Irina’s– This is a great option for those who want to eat their meal out with Mom a little later in the afternoon instead of the typical brunch timeframe and you don’t want to eat from a buffet since they open at 3pm. Irina’s makes you feel special year round but they really make an effort on Mother’s Day. The food is plated like a 5 star restaurant in a bigger city and the staff is very attentive. This is a good spot for smaller groups especially if it’s just you and your mom.
- Mama Lacona’s-$25.95/adults- Mama Lacona’s makes their usual Sunday brunch which is from 10:30am-3pm a little more special for Mother’s Day by offering items such as shrimp cocktail, fresh salmon and prime rib as well as a few extra dessert options to boot. This is a great option for those who want some Italian favorites for their mother’s day as well as some special items thrown in as well.
- Bubba– If you mom likes authentic southern food then take her to Bubba downtown from 10am-2pm. They have a variety of filling salads, entrees like chicken and waffles and shrimp & grits. Their desserts are well worth the calories with choices like chocolate whoopee pie sundae and their bourbon bananas foster. They are a little more dressed up here especially on Sundays so maybe avoid wearing anything too casual to avoid feeling underdressed.
- +39– +39 is a newer restaurant but they’ve already established themselves as consistently good with quality ingredients. Their brunch menu from 10am-2pm has bottarga toast which has the Italian delicacy of salted, cured fish roe grated over buttered Italian bread and scrambled eggs. Their brunch pizza makes a nice compromise for those who want pizza but also breakfast staples with toppings of sausage, bacon, eggs and potatoes. For a special drink, get the Bella Signora.
- Christopher’s– $30/adults-It’s highly recommended that you make reservations, so be sure to call (515) 274-3694 to make sure you can get a table. Their special mother’s day menu starting at 10am to 2:30pm will have hot egg casserole, slow roasted prime rib station, and smoked salmon along with other special items. A drink is included so though this is on the pricier side you don’t have to worry about paying separately for your coffee or soda.
- Gilroy’s– $15.99/per person, $27.99 bottomless mimosas/bloody Mary’s- Gilroy’s opens at 8am on Sunday so this is wonderful spot for your mom if she’s an early bird. Their Sunday brunch includes corn flake French toast, bacon wrapped meatloaf, flank steak and a made to order omelet station as well as an assortment of breakfast favorites. Their coffee is as good as the food so be sure to get it especially if you’re going there early.
- Waterfront Seafood Market– For the mom who loves seafood, the Ankeny location of the Waterfront Seafood Market is your best bet. The Waterfront has been a Des Moines seafood favorite since 1984. Their sushi bar would be a fun treat for your mom especially if she’s never had it before and their choices range from safe to adventurous so she can decide how daring she wants to be.
For the best stores in Valley Junction to check out, click here.