2016 was pretty rough for everyone. The election left everyone happy it was over. We lost countless celebrities, often times by surprise. We as a nation faced many issues that previous generations never had to face. The following are my hopes for 2017.
- I hope we unite as a country- The election showed how divided our country has become or honestly how divided it’s always been. I hope with the new president that we can get past the issues we argued about during the election and focus on making America better for every one of its citizens. What we need to remember is we’re all American and we all need to stay focused on how we as a country can become better not spending all of our time and energy arguing over things that are minor issues.
- I hope more women go into politics- Even with seeing Hilary lose the election, we need more women who are willing to put their hat in the political ring and run for more offices, whether as small as their city council or as grand as the President of the United States. We need more women to be in positions of power to help break that glass ceiling that Hilary couldn’t break on her own.
- I hope distracted driving becomes less of an issue this year- Iowa had 440 fatal car accidents in 2016 and state troopers blame the majority of those deaths on distracted driving. Let’s put away the phones and make sure we are completely focused on our driving. No phone call or text is worth causing someone’s death over. Put the phone down and if you’re too tired to drive then ask someone else to drive you or get an Uber ride.
- I hope violence towards police officers comes to an end- Being a police officer is an incredibly difficult job and last year saw a record number of them being ambushed by citizens while they were only doing their job. Even Des Moines wasn’t immune to this problem with our losing two officers to an ambush attack. I understand that not all police officers are moral but to shoot innocent officers just for the sake of getting revenge on their profession is illogical and does nothing to fix the problem many face with the police. If you have a problem with police, find a way to solve it without resorting to violence.
- I hope we find a way to stop the global hacking issue- It’s scary to know that someone in a completely different country has access to our very personal information and can use it any way they want to. I hope we as a country can find a way to fight back against this so we can be assured that every time we use the internet we aren’t putting our private information at risk.
- I hope we find a way to make health care affordable for everyone- Trump is going to modify Obamacare but he needs to go after the insurance company more than anything. Why are we ok with insurance companies charging us astronomical amounts of money for basic care? We shouldn’t be forced to consider bankruptcy when we have a catastrophic illness such as cancer. We as a nation need to tell insurance companies our health is more important than their making billions of dollars worth of profit a year.
- Finally, I hope we can start being nicer to each other- If you go anywhere in America you’re going to run into people who have little to no regard of how they treat you. When did we as a nation stop being decent to each other? When did we stop caring about others feelings? Even children are being rude because they see the adults in their lives being rude so they’re led to believe this ok behavior. Everyone is facing hardship in their lives, some more than others, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to treat others badly because of what they’re facing. Let’s stop being the ME nation and try being a WE nation.