Whether you’re shopping for used clothes because you want to save money or are in it for the hunt of finding a treasure, Des Moines has seven great locally owned stores to choose from to help you find quality clothing at a fraction of the price you’d pay at a regular store.
- Worn– Worn has the most up to date fashions in their store compared to most consignment or second hand clothing stores. All of their items are in excellent condition and they are best known for having a huge selection of brand name authentic handbags and designer jeans. This is the best store to go to when you want designer items for a fraction of the retail price without having to drive to an outlet mall. Located at 5435 Mills Civic Parkway in West Glen, 835 42nd Street in the shops at Roosevelt and 1805 SE Delaware in Ankeny.
- Repeat Boutique–Repeat Boutique has a large selection of sizes for both the clothes and the shoes so you don’t have to worry about finding something in your size.The items are presented beautifully instead of just being crammed on too full clothes racks. The owner is usually available and will make you feel like a treasured customer whether it’s your first time there or you’re a longtime fan. Located at 3913 Ingersoll Avenue.
- Kidding Around– This is an awesome store for those in the market for used maternity clothing and gently used children’s clothes. They also sell toys and furniture to help make your child’s room a more homey place without having to spend a lot to do so. They’ve been around since 1997 and even moved to a larger store in 2010 to have more room to sell their items. The items are in great condition and many still have the price tags on. Located at 10201 University Avenue in Clive.
- Restyle– Established in 1993, Restyle features a larger men’s clothing section than the other stores on this list so the guys can have a decent chance of finding what they’re looking for without having to go to a regular store. They feature name brand clothing, shoes, home décor and a small children’s section. Restyle buys only current styles that have been sold within the last 2 years so you’ll know that anything you buy isn’t out of date in the fashion world. Located at 7662 Hickman Road.
- Encore Thrift Store– I was truly heartbroken to see Encore move from their original home in Pleasant Hill to a larger store on Merle Hay Road since it meant I couldn’t shop there as often but I’m glad they have not only moved to their Merle Hay location but have added another store on Army Post Road. I shopped at this store exclusively to get furniture for my first apartment and have found a ton of designer clothes here in like new condition. Their prices are some of the cheapest in town and they’ll have color tag sales with items being up to 50% with that day’s color. Located at 500 East Army Post Road and 4640 Merle Hay Road.
- Not New Shop– Run by the Iowa Lutheran Hospital Auxiliary, all proceeds go towards funding projects and programs at Lutheran Hospital. They have a large selection of clothing for everyone in your family but it’ll be a bit harder to find anything name brand though it isn’t impossible. They also sell used furniture and pretty much anything you could need for your home like dishware and décor. Located at 705 East University Avenue, across the street from Lutheran Hospital and part of the George Washington Carver school campus.
- Barbara’s Consignment Boutique– This smaller sized store is big on customer service and has a good selection of mainly women’s clothes. They do have a children’s clothing section but it’s kind of limited but it shouldn’t be difficult to find something in your child’s size. Located at 5601 Hickman Road. Their phone number is (515) 274-1935.