Des Moines may not have a major sporting team like some larger sized cities near Iowa but we do offer a handful of sporting events for those who want to experience a live game but don’t want to spend three hours or more driving to do so.
- Iowa Cubs– Des Moines’s Triple A Minor league baseball team located at Principal Park (formerly named Sec Taylor Stadium). According to Wikipedia, they were started in 1969 as the Iowa Oaks and in 1981 they became associated with the Chicago Cubs and adopted their name based on their parent team. The Iowa Cubs are only one of four Triple A teams who bear the name of their parent team. Their attendance reached a record in 2007 with 576,310. Try to go on a Friday night to see their Friday night Fireworks show. Tickets start at $8 and usually pretty easy to get whether online or at the ticket office on game day. On a side note the players you watch here are not currently famous, however wait a few years and you could be bragging about who you saw play before they were famous. I personally remember seeing Kerry Wood, Prince Fielder, and Adam Wainwright many years ago. For their site click here .
- Iowa Energy- The Energy are Des Moines’s minor league basketball team who, are associated with the Memphis Grizzlies and play the Eastern Conference. Their home games are played at Wells Fargo Arena. Where they were the 2011 D-league finals champions against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, winning 2 to 1. The High Voltage Dance team are a fan favorite when they perform during breaks/time outs. Be sure to bring cash for parking if you park near the Arena since the attendants only accept cash. For tickets, and their website click here.
- Iowa Wild- The Iowa Wild are affiliated with the Minnesota Wild, and play their home games at the Wells Fargo Arena in downtown Des Moines. They have theme nights that everyone in the family will enjoy including a Ladies Night and Veterans Appreciation Weekend. Ticket prices vary on a game by game basis but $45 seems to be the most you’ll pay for a single game ticket that’s in the glass section. They offer a Brewdog package for $15 per person you’ll get a ticket in the 200 level, a hot dog and a bud/bud light beer- you can upgrade to the $20 or $25 plan for better seats . For more information, click here.
- Des Moines Barnstormers- The Barnstormers are members of the Indoor Football league. The original league played at Veterans Memorial until 2001 when the team moved to New York and became the New York Dragons. In 2008, the new Barnstormers team began playing at the Wells Fargo Arena where they have played since. They left the Arena Football league in 2015 and moved to the Indoor Football League due to difficulty attracting top ticket free agents in the AFL’S smallest market. Kurt Warner is their most famous former player, who went on to play for the NFL’s St. Louis Rams. Ticket prices range from $12 to $70. For tickets, click here.
- Des Moines Buccaneers- The Buccaneers have been a Tier 1 Junior Ice Hockey League since 1980 at the Buccaneers Ice Arena in Urbandale. They have won 4 Anderson Cup Championships and 4 Clark Cup Championships. Kyle Okposo, who currently plays for the New York Islanders, started at the Buccaneers and played at the 2005-06 Clark Cup championship team. Arena Level tickets start at $14 for adults/$11 children and Ice Level Seats are $19 advanced/$20 game day. They offer Blackbeard Lounge Tables for $80 that includes 4 tickets with easy access to Blackbeard’s lounge bar. For more information, click here.