Des Moines and the surrounding areas have plenty of choices to get beautiful floral arrangements and the greenhouses not only have a huge assortment of flowers to plant but also offer a large selection of gardening supplies. The following are the best locally owned places to get flowers to both grow and give as a gift.
- Boesen the Florist-located in multiple locations around Des Moines including on Ingersoll and Beaver Avenue, Boesen opened in 1923 and is currently being run by the 3rd generation of the their family. They use the most up to date technology to ensure their flowers remain beautiful for as long as possible. For more information, their website is here.
- Goode Greenhouse-located on NE 50th Avenue, you probably already know their catchy commercial jingle if you have never been to the greenhouse itself. Their greenhouse is just large enough that it’s not overwhelming but has plenty of choices to give you lots of options. Their website offers a mulch calculator to help you buy the correct amount of mulch to prevent over or under buying mulch for your garden. Their website is here.
- Doherty’s Flowers-located on 2nd Avenue, Doherty’s is family operated and really makes an effort to provide excellent customer service. They even offer a man club that allows members to schedule 3 important delivery dates-with choices of Valentine’s Day, Anniversary, Mother’s Day and birthday- to take the hassle out of remembering these dates and guaranteeing the lucky recipient will get beautiful flowers to mark these occasions. For more information, click here.
- Piney Ridge Greenhouse- located in Johnston, this family run greenhouse has been in business since 1975.They offer custom container planting for those who want to avoid the dirty work of making planting containers themselves. They even offer classes in the summer that cover a wide variety of topics. For more information, their website is here.
- Rene’s Greenhouse- located on NW 70th in Johnston, Rene’s has a large selection of bedding plants and perennials. Their selection of garden decorations is one of the most impressive in the city. They do close once spring is over and re-open in the fall to offer mums and fall/Christmas related items. For more information, their website is here.
- Plaza Florist and Gifts-located on Douglas Avenue in Urbandale, Plaza Florist is run by Sandra Taylor who is incredibly helpful with helping you choose what arrangement to go with for any occasion. Her arrangements are always well put together. This is a great place to get your wedding flowers if you’re in the market. Her website is here.
- Howell Greenhouse & Floral-located in Cumming, this is a little bit of a drive but it’s worth it once you get there with their 1910 barn that features a flower drying area upstairs and a gift shop downstairs. They’ve been featured on Iowa Public Television’s Iowa’s Simple Pleasures show and Iowa Gardening Magazine gave them the “Best Assembled Container” in their magazine. For more information, click here.
- Irene’s Flowers-located on 25th Street, Irene’s has been open since 1956. They really do live up to their motto of going the extra mile for their customers. They do ask to place your order at least one day prior to any major holiday to ensure your delivery can be made on time. They offer a long list of businesses that they deliver to so if you’re needing to get them delivered for a wedding or funeral, there’s a good chance they already service those locations. Their website is here.
- Busy Bee Garden Center-located in Indianola, Busy Bee can be found at the Farmer’s Market as well if you can’t make the drive to Indianola. Their greenhouse is open 7 days a week so even if you miss the farmer’s market, you’ll be able to shop their greenhouse. They have 500 annuals to choose from as well as 100 varieties of tomatoes. They are run by a local couple who met taking horticulture classes at DMACC . They’ve really grown over their years and hopefully will continue to grow in the future. For more information, their website is here.
- Lucille’s Garden Center-located in Bondurant, Lucille’s is a smaller company but they’re big on options. There’s old fashioned gas pumps everywhere. They offer a decent size selection of herbs and lots of flower options. For more information, click here.
If you want more articles, I have some suggestions. Just click on the link that you are interested in… Wedding photo locations, brunch spots, date night ideas, Best Patios, and Reasons we will miss Garrison Keillor.